CLUB GROUP RIDE RULES – SUSSEX CYCLISTS
In order to promote safe and enjoyable rides, participants agree to the following:
1. Know your capabilities before registering. For the enjoyment of all riders, please consider a different ride if you are not sure you can maintain the speed and ride the distance. Contact the Ride Leader before the ride if you are not sure or have questions.
2. Speeds and distances are posted on the calendar. The posted speed is an AVERAGE MOVING SPEED excluding time when stopped. Expect variations in the total ride speed of +/- .5mph at the end of the ride due to road and weather conditions and the abilities of others.
4. When registering, riders must provide emergency contact information, agree to these rules and accept the Club’s Release and Waiver of Liability Agreement.
5. The first Club Group Ride of a guest rider is free. Thereafter, we expect group riders to join and financially support the Club.
1. Riders are expected to be ready to ride 10 minutes before the posted start time. RIDES LEAVE ON TIME.
2. Riders must be self-sufficient and carry a spare tube, inflation device, water/sports drink(s), and a snack (if desired).
3. Properly worn ANSI or CPSC certified bicycle helmets are required whenever on the bike. NO EXCEPTIONS.
4. Earphones are prohibited, except for hearing aids.
5. Cell phones may be used when stopped, while off the road in a place that is safe from traffic and does not create a safety issue for other cyclists.
6. Riders under 18 years must be accompanied by an adult.
7. Riders agree to call out and/or relay (to riders in the front and back) traffic and road hazards, and not to do anything that may compromise their safety or the safety of others.
8. Riders must follow current CDC and state guidelines for COVID and other diseases and be free of any FLU, RSV, or COVID symptoms. IF YOU DON’T FEEL WELL, DON'T RIDE.
1. Bikes must be in good condition and properly maintained, with tires pumped up to pressure within the range stated on their tires.
2. Aerobars (AKA “tri-bikes”) are used by competitive athletes to assist in getting into a tuck/aero position. They are strongly discouraged for Club rides, but may be used only at the discretion of the Ride Leader, and only when riding in the lead position.
3. Time Trial (“tt”) bikes are prohibited. They are typically bikes that have shifters at the front of integrated aerobars and are almost always designed to be ridden in a tuck/aero position.
4. eBikes must be safely ridden within the ride posted speed and club group ride etiquette. Pedal assisted eBikes (Class 1 and Class 3) are welcome. Throttle assisted eBikes (Class 2) may only be used on rides posted with a Target Speed of 15mph+/- or less, and only with pedal assist and without using the throttle.
1. Riders must obey all traffic laws (e.g., stop at all red lights, rolling stop permitted with caution at most stop signs) and other rules outlined in Delaware TITLE 21 - CHAPTER 41. Subchapter XII. Operation of Bicycles.
2. Riders who leave the ride or are not stopping at end of the ride must notify the Ride Leader, preferably directly or if not practical, by asking another rider to relay a message to the Ride Leader.
3. For the safety and enjoyment of all, participation is at the Ride Leader's discretion. If asked to leave, riders are expected to do so respectfully and immediately.
For questions about a ride, please contact the Ride Leader or Club Ride Director (preferably before the ride).
Sussex Cyclists, Inc. - July 1, 2023
Club Group Ride Rules are subject to change without notice.